Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Shoulder Rehab Week 8- Travel with a Sherpa

I said the week before that travel could be hard...and it was.  The wedding this past weekend was fabulous, Dominique was a beautiful bride and Piper had a fun time being a flower girl. All was okay, I mean I wasn't able to do any of my physical therapy exercises or ice but I wasn't carrying too much or lifting.  That was until life just happens, and you take your husband to the airport because he is due in Colorado, and you are on your own with a 6 year old and traveling alone.  Sometimes you just have to do things, even though you know you shouldn't, like holding umbrellas in both hands in the rain, and a back pack and your keys.  Like I said, life...daughter dressed in flower girl outfit, I'm dressed for the wedding and it's raining, can't ruin the hair right?
Anyhow, that was the least of my issues.  The next day I had to load the suitcases in the trunk, unload them then do it again once we arrived back in DC.  It's not like the suitcases and bags you do carry through the airport get walk there on their own.

Thus, it is my personal advice to anyone who has any type of surgery and must travel up to 12 weeks post-op, get a Sherpa and have them carry ALL the bags! I leave again next week and plan to have my best Sherpa (and husband) carrying and helping more than ever.  It will be just like the old days, when he would carry my swim bags at meets so my shoulders and arms wouldn't get sore.  The problem with this trip is I thought I could do it and then I had to do it and it hurt.  I hate the healing process, even though I know it always takes longer than you think and you have to be patient. 
On Monday, November 14, I had my re-evaluation with Vanessa, and despite my pain and soreness there is a lot of improvement and progress.  My flexibility is gradually coming back.  I can move my arm up from the side 20 degrees more than 3 weeks ago and on Tuesday I was able to touch my arm to my ear laying down and raising my arm up.  I have had to learn to really use my scapula and while Susan was stretching my arm and moving it I was totally focused on keeping my scapula tucked in.  It literally takes all my concentration and I think I am flexing every core and back muscle I have to do it.  But, HUGE flexiblity difference.  So, despite the pain I am currently in this week,  from inflaming the tendons and anchor,s when real life got in the way, I have had good progress and am still on the right track.  I even had a good swim/kick on Tuesday with my swim pals Alicia and Kirsten, who coached.
Finally, because it was a fun trip, here we are on the top of the Space Needle in Seattle.  Thursday last week was one of those beautiful fall days in the Northwest. It reminds me how much I love and miss Seattle and Washington State.  Then it rained and now it's snowing and I am reminded it is not yet cold out here.  I would be willing to lay at least even money that 20 years from now I am a snowbird, ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment