Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Shoulder Rehab Week 7

This week our big adventure is airplane travel! I only hope not to say "ouch" too many times while boarding, flying and getting off the plane.  Luckily I have Brad and Piper with me to help but coming home it's just McB and me so we will be checking those suitcases!

PT was fun this week, my friend, Kirsten who also had should surgery on the same day and the same arm was at Greater Metropolitan doing her therapy too.  Here I am on the stem machine with ice over it and Kirsten is walking her arm up the bench to stretch it out.  I feel like I made a lot of progress over the past week.  I can get my arm up straight above my head and it is starting to go up past 90 degrees from my side without pinching.  I haven't felt that since sometime last winter!

Susan did a lot of extra stretching of my arm when I was on my back and as long as I drop my shoulders to work my scapula I can really move it around, without a pinching feeling.  I have been doing a lot of scapula work in my back and that will help.  It is forcing me to develop and retrain all those little muscles that I didn't use before.  If you keep your shoulders down and use those muscles then in the end your shoulders are better off.  Finally, after 7 weeks I finally got to hold a 'real' weight in my right hand.  I say 'real' because lets face it, I am a mom and I have a dog, and go full speed ahead, a lot.  I am guessing that once in a while I have put more than 2 pounds in my right hand.  But...on Tuesday I got to lay on my back and do shoulder presses up with 5 pounds in my left hand and 2 pounds in my right.  It was kind of nice, maybe I can start rebuilding not only the scapula, back and shoulder muscles but also my floppy triceps muscle (aka my bat wing!). 

Stand by for the update next week when I recap travel, a wedding and sightseeing with a still tender and healing shoulder!

No comments:

Post a Comment