Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Citizen Bank Park-Philadelphia Phillies

Finally...after probably four years of trying to coordinate vacation, baseball and life schedules the Arcaro's and the Buswell's make it to a Phillies game together! I have walked by Citizen Bank Park, fondly called 'The Bank' by locals, for six years on my way to see Army-Navy Football at near by Lincoln Financial Field. We had tickets for the Saturday game against the Colorado Rockies. Luckily we were in the shade almost the entire game because the heat index rose to 112 degrees. Here are a couple shots from our seats. The first one is the bell in center field, it rings every time a Phillies player hits a home run. In Piper's opinion any time you can find a substitute for fireworks after a home run is a good time. The Bank moved up to second favorite ball park behind the old Yankee Stadium, since they didn't do fireworks either. Stand by for a report of that new stadium later this summer. This second picture is Brad and me, about half way through the game, totally sweating and still having fun. We had seats off third base almost to the foul pole.


I failed to tell you my reaction as we walked into 'The Bank'. First we were handed team pictures on semi hard paper...apparently they were fans because that is what everyone used them for. Good thinking Phillies organization! Here I am with the first banner I saw~ Jamie Moyer! I was just a little giddy. From there Piper ran into the Phillie Phanatic's girlfriend... and then I saw the concession stand for the world famous Schmitter; named in honor of Mike Schmit a Hall of Fame player for the Phillies. What, you don't know what a Schmitter is? It's the sandwich that came before all other athlete sandwiches!! Here is what's in a Schmitter, Three slices of cheese, sliced steak, fried onions, grilled salami, and special sauce. There are tomatoes, clearly there to ensure the nutritional value of this monster, all on a kaiser bun. I wish I could say I ate one but it was too hot!

Once the game was underway, Piper and I explored Ashburn Alley a bit. It's behind center field, has a variety of concessions stands and this tribute to Richie Ashburn who was a baseball player and broadcaster. They managed to incorporate a lot of Phillies baseball history in Ashburn Alley, very impressive.


I mentioned it was hot right? Check out Brad and Ralph, their shirts were soaked!
Then look at sweet little Raina, she was a trooper. Sometimes you get really lucky when your husband's best friends marry cool gals that you can have honest to goodness friendships with, even when you aren't hanging out as couples, and Amy is awesome. She loves Phillies Baseball probably as much as I love Husky Football. She and I were at opposites ends of the seats, but it was still fun just being there all together. Of course I couldn't manage to get a picture of all of us together, but stand by Army-Navy is just around the corner we can get one then.


All in all, a great weekend and a big Phillies win! Here is Piper with Gage on the way to the game. Then Amy and myself on their roof deck over looking the city. It may have been hot but I was happier to be on the roof deck in shorts and 100 degrees than in my parka and -20 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment