Friday, July 16, 2010

Last Week at Science & Technology, DHS

Au Revoir
Folks,

As some of you have heard, today is my last day at S&T. As I depart today for the last time, I will remember fondly my last 45 months spent here serving alongside all of you in support of the security of our Nation. I take pride in the things that we accomplished together, and look forward to hearing about the good things that you do in the future. DHS S&T is and will continue to be a great organization, made great by you, the people who serve here. My family and I will be forever grateful for your service and your friendship.

If there is ever anything I can do for you personally or professionally, you need only ask. I look forward to keeping in touch,

Brad
Brad Buswell
Deputy Under Secretary
DHS Science & Technology

Now Brad moves onto the next phase of his professional life, and Piper and I follow along, looking forward to new adventures (like trips to France) and meeting new people from a new company. What to do to celebrate this change? I decided to blog it of course. So, without further adieu, here is Brad's last week at DHS (my version of it)
This is Brad leaving for work on Monday, he seems so thrilled to all of a sudden realize I could be documenting his entire last week. He should be happy I didn't show up every day at work just to take a picture!

Tuesday was Brad's last official dinner too. I went as well, in part because I love these dinners and I also wanted to see Stephanie and Paul since they were out of town the rest of the week. It was held at Il Mulino's, and was surprisingly good. The dinner was with the new UK Chief Scientist and some other lovely chaps, they are in this first picture. Then we took another picture this one with Stephanie Howlett Okimoto, her husband Eric and Paul Ragsdale.









Thursday was the annual Science and Technology Picnic. It was a really fun day. The planning committee did a great job. It was at Claude Moore Park in McLean. Here are some shots of friends and co-workers.


Rolf and Gayle Dietrich then Brad, myself and Mary Beth Hemer



Here is Brad, wearing his award (which will be officially awarded later in August, complete with engraving on the back), with Dr. Tara O'Toole, Under Secretary, Science and Technology Directorate.


While Piper was having a fun time on the swings and playing with Mary Beth,


I was busy snapping more pictures of Brad, here he is with Dan Dayton, and then with Doug Smith.


Finally, the last day at DHS, I was able to snag a picture of Brad walking out the door to head to Vermont and K one final time.
Piper and I went to his office later that afternoon to go through her toys there and said good bye to some friends before heading across the street to the Washington Plaza Hotel for a farewell party. Here is Brad with Jamie Johnson, who has become a great friend and baseball buddy, he even plays in my fantasy baseball league. I told you these are great friends that we have made. This next picture is with Lilia Ramirez, who has worked with Brad, off and on since the mid 90's when they both started working with Admiral Jay Cohen in the Navy Office of Legislative Affairs.
Here are pictures from the party Brad with Matt Clark and Randy Zeller. The Shipmates, all at Science and Technology Directorate and all graduates from the Naval Academy, spanning the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. (Almost all are submariners too). This is the signed poster Brad was given (much better than a plaque) and Dr. O'Toole. Carrie Ladowicz, the Admiral and myself clowning around with Brad's other farewell poster. Piper has claimed this one as her own and it is now in her bedroom. Finally, Piper and I with Sara Klucking, my Ellensburg High School classmate and 'Karen-Sarah' who used to be a school teacher and now works at DHS. They are Piper's friends, and mine.

Today is Brad's first day at Vice President of Global Strategy, Morpho Detection. Seems to be going well, he is happy and is looking forward to a little time off in August. Thanks to everyone that celebrated with Brad (and Piper and me) on Friday, and to all the great people we've become friends with because of these four years at DHS. It was as if 'everyday was a holiday' to quote an old wise friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment