Monday, August 1, 2011

Swim-a-thon with Piper

On July 24 Piper did her first swim-a-thon with the swim team and she swam 74 lengths! Brad was her lap counter and I swam as well with Erin counting for me.  It was a beautiful Sunday morning at the pool and so much fun.  The money raised all went to Cole's Closet, you can check out the link at http://www.colescloset.org/ .  It is a wonderful foundation in our area.
All the 8&U's swam together in one lane and I swam next to Piper with other parents, Coach Dale and the older swimmers. I will only say I completed 164 lengths and felt great (considering my upcoming shoulder surgery for a torn bicep tendon). Brad was a great lap counter and he sat with Erin and the other lap counting parents, all wishing they could go over and enjoy the delicious food they could only smell coming from the grill. Chef O and Bubba made some fabulous egg dishes.
Piper got to use her fins, a kickboard and even take a break to chat with Coach Addie. The kids (and adults) had 3 1/2 hours to swim as much as they wanted to. I did all mine at once and then was done but there were some moms that went 200 lengths! Maybe next year I can try to do that (what me competitive???), but I think Brad would have pulled me out if I had swam/kicked anymore than what I did do!


Let me just say that it was really fun to be doing something like this with Piper. To know she is a strong enough swimmer now, to be in a lane with other swimmers and do her own thing while I am in another lane doing mine. Someday, and it is coming sooner than I want, she will be faster than me and beat me.  But, until that day comes I plan to keep teaching her everything I can about swimming and prepare her as best I can for competition and all that it entails.  You don't believe me? Ask her what I always tell her to do; "drink your water, do you have your water bottle with you, and you have to stay hydrated" that is my constant mantra. 

I know as she gets older she will have a bottle of water with her. She will know Gatorade (and electrolytes) are the best liquids to recover with after an event like this or a race.  I am so proud of her and of what she did in the swim-a-thon raising over $470 for a great organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment