Sunday, October 21, 2012

Piper's First USS Meet

Ready to go in her
Potomac Marlins gear!
It is no secret to anyone who knows me that I love to swim and have always hoped to pass this passion onto Piper.  Today was a big day for me (I don't think she realized it or thought it was quite that monumental but no matter) as Piper swam in her first USS swim meet.  Not only that but she acted like she had been going off the starting blocks all along instead of just once over the summer at Aqua Club in Seattle. 

I could tell by the time we got to the pool that she was nervous and a bit excited.  I was too, thank goodness Brad was calm and steady and carrying on, just like a good Sherpa should. 

waiting to swim and making
friends.
We got her all set and left her on deck with a coach she had just met, teammates that all train at different pools and went up to the balcony to sit and watch.  Then Brad suggested I go see about timing, probably for his peace, my peace of mind (since I could see and talk to her on deck) and to reassure Piper we were around.  I love that she is still young enough to want that, I know my time will come, sooner than I want, where she won't want me within eye sight, just calling distance!

Piper did great for her first meet, she took 6th in the 25 breast, 14th in the 50 free and 26th in the 25 back.  It's funny because I think her backstroke is good but she hasn't raced it much this year and needs to work on a few fundamentals that my good friend and technique expert, Beth O'Connor Baker, has instructed her to do.   Next weekend she will compete in an intersquad meet and the next day I will swim in my first masters meet post shoulder surgery.  Lots of pool time for Brad these days!
Diving in for 50 free


 

No comments:

Post a Comment