Thursday, March 31, 2011

Washington Nationals Opening Day Baseball vs. Atlanta Braves

Did I tell you I play in a fantasy baseball league? My team is called SoDo Mojo, for South Downtown Mojo of the Seattle Mariners. I love my Mariners but I have to say the Nationals have really found a spot in my heart.
I wonder if it is sign my two favorite baseball teams are the only two teams to have never been to the World Series? With my baseball luck they will go the same year, and yes, hell will probably freeze over too.

This year since we were in DisneyWorld we thought it would be fun to 'scout' some players at hit a spring training Nationals game. It was so nice to be outdoors, in a t-shirt (a new Jason Werth shirt) and warm in the sun! The Nationals players that came up and talked to us were really sweet. Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa were great, and they chatted up Piper until she gave them one of her looks over her glasses. (no loss in trading Nyger Morgan and that is all I will say about that). The Nationals played the St. Louis Cardinals, Jordan Zimmermann did not have a good outting at all, I chose not to draft him after watching that 4 inning fiasco.

However, with all that said we approached opening day with our usual mix of excitement and trepidation. Excitement that baseball for 2011 was on and we were part of it and of course, with their recent record of wins and losses, a bit of trepidation as to what this season will hold.
So far it has held a very cold 40 degree afternoon! Burrrrr!! I wore almost the same clothes to the Opening Day Baseball game as I did to Army-Navy Football in December!

That said, the day was fabulous. In part because someday some statistician in baseball will also recognize that starting pitcher, Livan Hernandez, making his 9th Opening Day start, was paired with one of the best catchers of all time, Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez, in his last opening day start too. For me, it was kind of awesome. I taped the opening out Livan made and both of them at their first at bats. (I know I geek out on some crazy things once in a while).
The Nationals didn't win this one, in fact in all their home openers they've only won one, but still you've gotta love the home team. I will say we love our new outfielder Jason Werth, he had a base hit on his first at bat.
Despite the cold and the loss our day at Nationals Park was fun, and we are excited the season has started. I am sure there will be warmer days ahead for watching Nationals baseball and I am sure there will be many wins as well. I will also say with the warmer days ahead there will be cold beers to drink and a lot of new food stands to try at the park. This year we have to get Pudge to autograph the foul ball he hit and Piper caught last August. Stay tuned and I will keep you updated on my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment